OpeningupSlovenia to be launched
OCWC 2014 will feature the official launch of OpeningupSlovenia, a national research and innovation environment for Open Education.
Recent years have witnessed the rapid development of digital distance learning tools such as Open Educational Resources (OERs) and Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), all of which present traditional education systems and structures with exciting new opportunities, but also some challenges. Properly exploited, these new resources thus have a huge amount to offer: they can promote knowledge-sharing and intercultural communication; they can broaden access to education, by enabling teaching and learning to take place virtually anywhere; and in their ability to reach large numbers of learners, including by creating virtual communities of common interest, they can increase cost-efficiency.
- Follow as closely as possible and go beyond the European Commission’s communication on “Opening Education”
- Bottom-up created and top-down supported new and innovative initiative
- Create a unique nationwide research environment in open education.
- Coalition of all Slovenian universities, compulsory and vocational education institutions with technical, research and industry partners.
- Explore means for a fully-fledged open educational system in synergy and parallel with the formal one, develop innovative projects and apply for European Commission funds related to ICT and new aspects of open education.
- Involves 12 participants from industry, academia, research, education and government
- Support by 40 institutions and entities from 18 countries in the South-Eastern Europe region and outside the European Union.
- Slovenia wishes to tackle the issues identified in the staff working document such as (1) Teaching and learning environments (2) Digital contents (3) ICT infrastructure and equipment, and adding new ones such as (4) Business models and market placement (5) Emerging new organisational forms, (6) Intelligent technologies and Smart environments (7) Open innovation in a systemic approach.
- On 26 February 2013 the services of VideoLectures.Net, was recognized by the UN and UNESCO as one of the most outstanding examples of creative and innovative e-Content in the category of “e- Science & Technology” in the world in the last decade.
- On 19 March 2013 the Jožef Stefan Institute (Slovenia) and Knowledge 4 All Foundation Ltd (UK), won the bid for hosting the largest open education conference “OpenCourseWare Consortium Global 2014” to be held in Ljubljana, Slovenia from 23-25 April 2014.
- On 2 April 2013 on an official visit to Slovenia Director-General of UNESCO Irina Bokova, was impressed with the overall aims and idea of VideoLectures.Net, and expressed the view that the transLectures tools might be used for the benefit of UNESCO’s developing and least developed member states.
- On 25 September 2013 the European Commission presented its communication on a new initiative called ‘Opening up Education’. This is a joint action of the two DGs Education and Culture (EAC) and Connect.
- On 25 November 2013 the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport announces OpeningupSlovenia official launch
- On 23 April OpeningupSlovenia to be officially launched at OCWC Global Conference in Ljubljana, Slovenia
Core Partners – all levels of the educational system plus industry
Knowledge 4 All Foundation Ltd., Jožef Stefan Institute, University of Maribor, University of Primorska, University of Ljubljana, University of Nova Gorica, Ministry of Education, Science and Sport, OS Savsko Naselje primary school, Vrtec Trnovo kindergarten, Posta Slovenia